Scotts Knock off Steering Stabilser review - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Scotts Knock off Steering Stabilser review

Recently, I purchased a chinese Scotts knock off steering stabiliser via ebay and want to share my experience.
Steering Damper With Mounting Bracket FOR Honda CBR500R 2013 2015 | eBay .

I really did not expect a great deal for that small investment (costing around $140.00 AU) but thought as this is a universal dampener, I could also try it on my dirt bike.

Not sure about the internals but it looks identical and has the same controls as the scotts. In fact, I used the scotts installation and setting up instructions. It appears the the chinese don't understand the concept of copyright and think that it means copy right.

I searched this site trying to find anyone who may have used this before and fortunately @Joram144 was kind enough to provide some advice. Thanks Dave.

After a good 200km ride on the weekend, I was blown away by how stable to front end feels. The stabiliser takes away a lot of the small vibrations and I can only describe the feeling as the bike feels as though its on rails. I thought that I was just trying to convince myself because it was a new purchase but confirmed how good it was when I turned the stabiliser off.

With the front and rear shock upgrades this is another level of front end stability and well worth the $140.00 spent.

Installation was really easy. around 10-15 mins.
Remove the fork nut and washer(30mm socket)
Fit the stabiliser bracket.
Reinstall the washer and nut and torque to spec
Remove the 2 tank bolts and fit the link arm bracket. torque to spec (Use locktite)
Fit the stabiliser to the bracket with the 2 bolts provided. torque to spec (Use locktite)

Settings as per the Scotts website.
Base control valve: 8 turns back from full lock
High speed valve: 1.5 turns back from full lock
Sweep controls: !2 o'clock position.

Downside
I had to bleed the air from the fluid. (Found a youtube video on how to do this)
The stabiliser bracket needed to be slightly filed to allow for the steering to acheive full lock. (Photo attached)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_123749538_HDR.jpg (80.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_123801911_HDR.jpg (49.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_123814418_HDR.jpg (144.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_123834149.jpg (134.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160710_123350836_HDR.jpg (140.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_131300086_HDR.jpg (172.4 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to ttttrigg3r
It looks great. What fluid? Where did you file?

2013 CBR500R
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

The Fluid was already in the unit from the supplier. Not sure what they used. Online research says that 2.5w fork oil is the correct oil and viscosity to use. This should be replaced every 2 years or so. There are a few youtube videos showing how to do this. really easy to replace oil.

The 5th from the left photo shows the silver bracket that attaches to the fork. It was this bracket that required filing on each side so the bike could achieve full lock. I contacted the supplier and they are sending me another bracket which has been machined correctly.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Garage
nice find, been wondering about the advantages of this addition, as I found fitting the fork brace helped it track more true, but haven't really been in a position to need reduction of steering input hard knocks... what was the before and after noticeables?

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
nice find, been wondering about the advantages of this addition, as I found fitting the fork brace helped it track more true, but haven't really been in a position to need reduction of steering input hard knocks... what was the before and after noticeables?
I have basically the same suspension components as yourself including the fork brace. all I can say is that the steering now feels so smooth and small vibrations are not noticeable. The advantage of this unit is that the damper effect can be adjusted even while riding. It can even be transferred in minutes between bikes.

Out of all of my upgrades, this is up there with the front and rear suspension upgrades. At around $140.00 it excellent bang for your buck.

you will really benefit if you are doing track days or running on the drag strip.

I am only aware of one other cbr500 rider using a damper he he also loves it. Would love to hear from anyone else who has fitted one and what there thoughts are.
tothezenith likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is a good youtube video showing how this unit works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq690nLCjIs
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:56 PM

Garage
thanks man, that's a pretty trick unit, nice find, geez I'll have to construct a different method to mount my phone seeing it's in that place at the moment

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
thanks man, that's a pretty trick unit, nice find, geez I'll have to construct a different method to mount my phone seeing it's in that place at the moment
Let me know when you have found a new spot for your phone. I had to remove my stem mount GPS and would like to reinstall that somewhere but running out space.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 AM

well i have a place for the phone, but you need clipons for that and they have to be at least 33 cm long ...

mount:

and with the "case" in place:
iliodi likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 PM

Garage
yes clip-ons are on the wish list too. In the meantime, was looking at other options for the stabilizer considering the phone mount dilemma, and saw the attached conventional style for a CBR650. i know they use the same 41mm fork, and how Honda likes to reuse things for different bikes, I've just shot a message to the seller enquiring about the bike hole distance that mounts to the frame. If it's within cooee I could modify to fit, and still give us another option.
Including postage works out about the same price as the Scott's knock off.

What makes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page