Rough Winter - Page 11 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Garage
Look familiar? Here's what we woke up to today. (Mar 29th) Our mountains of snow had actually been shrinking just a little over the past few days, then this $hit happens. 19 days until my riders safety course... ought to be interesting.

Glen

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA
* 2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM

CB300F mirrors, R&G sliders, The2Wheels levers, SupaBrake-II, SJCAM SJ4000 camera, Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag, Oxford paddock stands, Nelson-Rigg cover, Erickson tie-down straps, Taylor33 rim tape, Grip Puppies, kickstand foot, digital thermometer, cable lock, Battery Tender Junior, QDC harness, USB phone charger, Icon gloves, Helmet Hooker, Xelement leather jacket, NexGen boots, HJC CL-17 helmet, chin curtain, dark smoke visor, Pinlock insert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 PM

..........i used to envy you guys in eastern Canada. But the last two years - not so much. I'm hoping the prairies are on a warming trend. But if so, that will likely be accompanied by more dust.
post #103 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrup View Post
..........i used to envy you guys in eastern Canada. But the last two years - not so much. I'm hoping the prairies are on a warming trend. But if so, that will likely be accompanied by more dust.
Garrup, I've seen you mention dust a few times lately. We spent a few years in the prairies, (Western Manitoba) but I don't remember having problems with it. I'm wondering what is different in Alberta to cause all this dust? Just from bare ground getting kicked up in wind, or possibly from crops? All I remember from the prairies is that the winters were far too cold (way colder than here) and summers were hot/dry. Oh, and everyone spoke Ukrainian.

Glen

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA

CB300F mirrors, R&G sliders, The2Wheels levers, SupaBrake-II, SJCAM SJ4000 camera, Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag, Oxford paddock stands, Nelson-Rigg cover, Erickson tie-down straps, Taylor33 rim tape, Grip Puppies, kickstand foot, digital thermometer, cable lock, Battery Tender Junior, QDC harness, USB phone charger, Icon gloves, Helmet Hooker, Xelement leather jacket, NexGen boots, HJC CL-17 helmet, chin curtain, dark smoke visor, Pinlock insert

post #104 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Garrup, I've seen you mention dust a few times lately. We spent a few years in the prairies, (Western Manitoba) but I don't remember having problems with it. I'm wondering what is different in Alberta to cause all this dust? Just from bare ground getting kicked up in wind, or possibly from crops? All I remember from the prairies is that the winters were far too cold (way colder than here) and summers were hot/dry. Oh, and everyone spoke Ukrainian.

Glen
A lot of the prairie has been tilled for crops. Fields are often left fallow for a season and not always with a cover crop to hold the soil down. What with continuing irrigation, new land parcels are continuing to get plowed up. The prairie has, in places, only a scant couple of inches of valuable topsoil which is held in place by a root system made up of tough little plants that can withstand the drought conditions. ONce that is gone, the topsoil quickly follows. On really windy years we are sometimes choking in dust and the sky offers up brown rolling clouds of it. Industry and construction contributes a lot of mixed dusts. If you leave something out on the deck, for instance, within two days it has a veneer of dust discoloring the surface of whatever it is. Fiberglass particles are among them - blowing in from the many new dwellings being put up.
This is, after all, the Palliser Triangle - an area once surveyed and labeled as unuseable because of drought. It is also has the dubious distinction of being Canada's hayfever and alergy capital. At one time, when i was younger, my hayfever intensified to a point where it was a big contributor in me giving up riding. Thankfully i've, to large extent, grown out of my allergies. But then again, we've had a few extra wet years. I'm a little worried about how this one will turn out in that regard.
post #105 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrup View Post
A lot of the prairie has been tilled for crops. Fields are often left fallow for a season and not always with a cover crop to hold the soil down. What with continuing irrigation, new land parcels are continuing to get plowed up. The prairie has, in places, only a scant couple of inches of valuable topsoil which is held in place by a root system made up of tough little plants that can withstand the drought conditions. ONce that is gone, the topsoil quickly follows. On really windy years we are sometimes choking in dust and the sky offers up brown rolling clouds of it. Industry and construction contributes a lot of mixed dusts. If you leave something out on the deck, for instance, within two days it has a veneer of dust discoloring the surface of whatever it is. Fiberglass particles are among them - blowing in from the many new dwellings being put up.
This is, after all, the Palliser Triangle - an area once surveyed and labeled as unuseable because of drought. It is also has the dubious distinction of being Canada's hayfever and alergy capital. At one time, when i was younger, my hayfever intensified to a point where it was a big contributor in me giving up riding. Thankfully i've, to large extent, grown out of my allergies. But then again, we've had a few extra wet years. I'm a little worried about how this one will turn out in that regard.

Thanks for the explanation, Garrup. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun in Southern Alberta. We're lucky here, in that we have no dust at all. As we're basically sitting on bare bedrock, there's nothing to get whipped up by the wind; not even any pollutants to leave a film, no matter how long anything sits outdoors. The one exception is a couple weeks in spring when there's some pollen floating about.

Glen

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA

post #106 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
YES!!! No more $hitty Newfoundland winters for us... just got ourselves a winter home in Naples, Florida, as of yesterday. Now we're actually looking forward to next winter! Even considering having my bike shipped down there in the fall.

Glen
Just found this link about Air Canada transporting motorcycles.
LeMisanthrope likes this.

2013 CB500XA, Grip Puppies, California Scientific windscreen, GIpro-DS gear indicator, Moto Werk mirror extenders, Honda main stand and rear hugger, Pyramid Fender Extender, R&G Radiator Guard.
post #107 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Garage
Last week I ordered the much nicer-looking "2015 CB300F" mirrors to replace the boring stock ones on my new CB500FA, and just learned that they were installed this morning, along with my frame sliders. The bike should be getting registered today, as my insurance coverage finally got squared away yesterday. Looking for its delivery to Fogo Island sometime in the next week or so. Getting really excited now!

Also, my new (genuine) SJCAM SJ4000 camera arrived in today's mail, and the cam, along with all of its many accessories, appear to be of very good build quality.

The bad news... it's currently snowing like a ba$tard; whiteout conditions! Just nine more days until my riding course!

Glen

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA

post #108 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Garage
WE WANT SAMPLE VIDS. Show us the beautiful frozen ocean on skidoo ;p

Thanks.

Im eyeing the xiaomi cam
Im also eyeing the mobius cam
The sj seems alright but im not sold on them.

This techmoan guy on youtube does good reviews though.

2013 CB500XA - Black beauty
2006 Suby Impreza - White Bitch
post #109 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM

Easter Sunday, me and the wife. I left the Midwest because of the crappy weather and I haven't regretted it.

post #110 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMisanthrope View Post
WE WANT SAMPLE VIDS. Show us the beautiful frozen ocean on skiddoos
Sorry, no snowmobile videos forthcoming, as our two machines are completely buried somewhere in our yard, and I flat-out refuse to pick up another shovel after the godforsaken winter we've had. (and sadly are still having!)

Glen

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page