Oil Change - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Oil Change

I'm preparing for my first oil change. I planned on using a full synthetic oil, Mobil Racing 4T 10W-40 but saw that Honda recommends 10W-30 (always go by the owners manual, it'll save you time and money).

However, Mobil doesn't make a motorcycle synthetic in that weight and using a heavier weight will lower MPG which I don't want. So, I've opted to go with Honda's full synthetic, HP4S 10W-30. I'm using Honda's OEM oil filter as well.

Honda builds quality products and I'm sure their oil will is just as good as Mobil.

My Bike: 2013 CBR500R in red w/ABS
My Gear: Arai Signet-Q Black Mask, Rukka Airway & Argosaurus, Dainese TRQ-Tour

Last edited by hondaguy; 06-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Doubt you'd have any problems with 10-40. I have a few bottles of the Mobil 1 and will probably use those up before I spend money on anything else.

Castrol makes a part-synthetic 10-30, comparable to the basic Honda oil. Lucas makes a synthetic 10-30.

It's never been officially confirmed, but generally acknowledged in the Industry that Honda's oils are supplied by Mobil, so the Honda synthetic oil is probably a custom variant of Mobil 1 in any case...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 AM
If this is your first oil change you should hold off on the synthetic for a while. I was going to do the same thing but my dealer highly recommended waiting until at least 2000 miles or better yet closer to 4000 miles. Both guys said that the engine isn't quite fully broken in yet and that going to synthetic too soon could lead to valve issues later.

I'm going to head the advice and wait it out. I'm no mechanic but better safe than sorry. For now I'll still to the GP4 that the manual recommends.

2012 CBR250R Tricolor
2013 CBR500R Tricolor
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
i use honda full synthetic oil and it is as good as recognized brands. It is coming from Japan to Thailand also. 10 - 30 is fine but for Thailand i prefer 10 - 40. It is hot here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page