Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums - View Single Post - Honda CB500 Maintenance
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM
jsonder

Garage
Costa Rico is fairly humid, so chain maintenance could be done more frequently.

Do you have a paddock stand, or does the bike have a center stand? These make chain maintenance much easier.

I tend to be excessive in the preventive maintenance, but I adjusted my chain at 40 miles when I got the bike home from the stealership (a tad tight and rear wheel ever so slightly crooked) and haven't needed to adjust it since. I lube the chain with ATF every 100-150 miles for around town riding, and every 200 miles or so when touring, keeping a couple of zip lock bags with a nitrile glove in one and a sock top saturated with ATF in another along with a small bottle of ATF in the tank bag for touring. I did 3200 miles in 8 days on scenic roads returning to Montana for a 40th reunion of my old elk-hunting group, last summer, lubing mid-day and at night. I'm sure that this is not for everyone, but, it works for me.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome